What’s the skinny? Android 11 releases today on select Pixel, OnePlus, Xiaomi, OPPO and realme phones, with more partners launching and upgrading devices over the coming months.
Dave Burke, VP, Android Engineering says: “The latest release is all about helping you get to what’s important on your phone with easier ways to help you manage your conversations, connected devices, privacy, and much more. In honor of the 11th version of Android.”
Changes and new features in Android 11
- Conversations across multiple messaging apps gets a dedicated space in the notification section, which should make it easier to manage all of your conversations in one spot. There’s also a feature that allows you to prioritize messages from the people you care about the most, so you don’t miss any of their messages.
- There is now a new feature called bubbles, that focuses on multitasking. This new feature allows you to reply to messages without having to switch back and forth between what you’re working on and messaging apps.
- Screen recording has finally arrived! You can now record your screen, including audio without using an app.
- you can now control all of your connected smart devices in one place, with one simple long press of the power button.
- Media controls have been redesigned in Android 11. You can now quickly switch the device your media is playing on, so you can take your music with you from your speaker to your headphones and back again all with a simple click of a button.
- Phones running Android 11 can now use Android Auto wirelessly, assuming you have a compatible vehicle.
Android 11 promises more control over your privacy
- Android 11 offers a ‘single use’ permission option that gives single use access to your most sensitive permissions: microphone, camera and location. If the app needs access to the sensor again in the future, it must again ask for permission.
- Android will now “auto-reset” permissions for your unused apps and notify you accordingly. You can always decide to re-grant the app permissions the next time you use the app.
- With additional Google Play system update modules, even more security and privacy fixes can be sent to your phone from Google Play, in the same way your apps update. So you’ll get these fixes as soon as they’re available, without having to wait for a full OS update.