What’s the skinny? Microsoft has released an update for its May update, Windows 10 version 2004. This update includes some security improvements to various things such as Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge, as well as some fixes for things like voice commands.
- Updates an issue that prevents you from using some voice commands in Windows Mixed Reality when the default Windows language is Canadian or Australian English.
- Improves the reliability of the keywords used for voice assistants, including Cortana.
- Updates to improve security when using Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge.
- Updates to improve security when Windows performs basic operations.
- Updates to improve security when using Microsoft Office products.
- Updates to improve security when using external devices (such as game controllers, printers, and web cameras) and input devices (such as a mouse, keyboard, or stylus).
- Improves security in Microsoft Xbox and the Microsoft Store.
- Updates for verifying usernames and passwords.
- Updates for storing and managing files.
- Optimizes the touch experience when you detach the keyboard.
Improvements and fixes
This security update includes quality improvements. Key changes include:
- Addresses an issue that prevents users from updating .msi files from a network folder.
- Addresses an issue that prevents you from using some voice commands in Windows Mixed Reality when the preferred Windows display language is English (Canada) or English (Australia).
- Improves the reliability of voice assistants that use Windows voice activation (Settings > Privacy > Voice Activation) for keywords.
- Improves the reliability of Cortana’s voice activation when using the “Cortana” keyword on devices that support low-power keywords.
- Optimizes the touch experience and keeps the familiar desktop experience when you detach the keyboard.
- Security updates to the Microsoft Scripting Engine, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Windows Media, Windows Kernel, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Input and Composition, Windows Shell, Windows Silicon Platform, Microsoft Xbox, the Microsoft Store, Windows Cloud Infrastructure, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Management, Windows Authentication, Windows Cryptography, Microsoft HoloLens, Windows Virtualization, Windows Peripherals, Windows Storage and Filesystems, Windows File Server and Clustering, Windows Hybrid Storage Services, the Microsoft JET Database Engine, and the Windows Update Stack.
If you installed earlier updates, only the new fixes contained in this package will be downloaded and installed on your device.
For more information about the resolved security vulnerabilities, please refer to the Security Update Guide.